My artwork is an evolution of Romanticism and Impressionism. The two eras changed art by injecting emotion, into what otherwise would be a simple landscape. How this was accomplished with dramatic lighting, atmospheric mood, and fluid movement would become my goal in completed artworks. It gave me the opportunity to work through, release, and even escape, my own emotion. The relationship built with the canvas and on the canvas. This is often used in a contemporary context, with multiple canvases used to explore one idea, emotion, crisis.
Light transforms the mundane to the spectacular
Janet, a full time, award winning Artist for over 20 years, is in her thirteenth year with a Studio at the Alton Mill Arts Centre.
Her formal art education began nearly 50 years ago, with the era of Romanticism heavily influencing her work. Impressionism grew from that base, carrying on with artworks that evoke an emotion. Her works regularly reflect Turner or Constable if a sky is in play, Monet or Pissarro if water is the focus. The signature of her work is dramatic light delivered in soft edges, with movement added to evoke a mood. In recent years, Janet has experimented with abstraction in selected collections, adding highly textured mediums. She continues to study art with workshops and classes, in new mediums and styles. Her travels regularly take her to a new country, a new continent, a new Art Museum or a new National Art Gallery, always expanding her knowledge of art.
The artworks are painted in collection, giving the individual canvas the framework for a larger concept. Landscape may be a generalized description of the subject matter, but, that is only the surface. The works are as much symbolic as they are literal. Janet is painting what she feels about the subject matter, and the viewer becomes connected. A concept is developed through multiple canvases, integral to each other, forming a Collection that is contemporary in delivery.
Oil is her primary medium, but acrylic can be selectively used. She layers colour onto the canvas setting the lights and the darks, and then begins to find the shapes and forms. Layer by layer the light is built until the idea begins to appear. While references are used in the initial stages, the work evolves and finds it own image. Strong composition is used to explore the resulting drama in light and colour. Texture added in selected works, can be back lit to expose a completely hidden artwork under the surface layers.
Janet's portfolio also includes plein aire works completed in watercolour. She also regularly participates in Life Draw Class, completing works in graphite. Both are used as studies for light and spontaneity, primarily for personal growth as an Artist.
She is consistently accepted to Juried Art Shows throughout the GTA, South Western Ontario, and the eastern United States. Many of her works have been published in local Magazines. She has received Juror Awards, Artist Choice Awards and People's Choice Awards.
Artworks are exhibited extensively every year in Galleries throughout the GTA and Southern Ontario. She participates in Art Festivals, Membership and Group Exhibits in both Private and Public Galleries during each year, and debuts new Collections in Private Gallery solo exhibits.
Janet can also be found in her Studio at the Alton Mill Arts Centre 12 months of the year, creating and selling her artwork. The Centre is a vibrant art community that hosts it own high end, well attended Events several times a year. Fire and Ice Event(January) and Cuisine-Art Event (July) have both been nominated and received awards from the Headwaters Tourism Board.
Janet is active in the Artistic Community having served on the Board of Directors for both Beaux-Arts Brampton and Headwaters Arts, Caledon. Board positions have varied from Treasurer to Vice-President, and she has chaired numerous Committees including: Festival; Juried Show; Gallery; and Marketing. She also acts as an adjudicator for Juried Exhibits, and installs art exhibits.
In March 2017, Janet was elected to the Colour and Form Society, an organization of professional artists founded in 1952. The CFS is an intrinsic part of the Canadian art scene. Singular in its multi-cultural structure, it adds new dimension to the Canadian identity.
Finished artworks hang in Private Collections across Canada, the US and the UK.
Plein Aire Watercolour studies
Life Draw Class: Three hour session;Graphite
Past Exhibits/Events 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019/2020
- Dec 4- Jan 5 (14)- Natural Talent II- (Juried Exhibit)- Etobicoke Civic Centre, Toronto
- Jan 25-26 2014- Fire and Ice Event- Alton Mill Arts Centre
- April 1-26, 2014 - Beaux-Arts Brampton Open Juried Fine Art and Photography Show 2014- Juror Gerrie Loveys- Assistant Curator PAMA
- April 8- May 4, 2014- Fools Rush In Juried Show, Headwaters Arts Gallery
- Juror - June 1, 2014- Interpretations Orangeville Art Group Annual Juried Show. June 6- 29, 2014, Orangeville Jazz Festival
- Juror- June 16, 2014- Tenaglia Student Art Show- Williams Mill- June 18-July 13, 2014
- May 3-July 7, 2014- Spring Up Exhibit- Falls Gallery, Caledon
- July 12-12, 2014- Cuisine-Art Event, Alton Mill Arts Centre, Caledon
- July 6 - 19, 2014- Out Every Window, Solo Exhibit, Beaux-Arts Brampton
- September 12-14, 2014- Carmel Fine Art Festival, Juried Show, Niagara
- September 24-October 13, 2014- EQUINOX, Solo Exhibit, Falls Gallery
- October 1-28, 2014 - Wellington Artist's Gallery Juried Exhibit. Jurors: Nan Hogg, BA in History from McMaster University; Robert Howson, Lambton College and University of Windsor BFA program; Lloyd Osbourn, Fine Art Conservator serving at the McMichael Gallery and the Royal British Columbia Museum.
- November 30, 2014 -January 4, 2015 - Christmas in Caledon II Juried Show, Headwaters Arts
- January 24-25, 2015 - Fire and Ice Event, Alton Mill Arts Centre
- December 15, 2015- February 2,2015 - White Ice, Solo Juried Exhibit, Millcroft Inn
- February 1-28, 2015 - Sponsor, "Young at Art". Beaux-Arts Brampton
- March 3, 2015 - Juror, Kelly McNeil School of Fine Art, Student Show. Beaux-Arts Brampton
- “Order in Disorder”, the Ontario Society of Artists 142nd Open Juried Exhibition, April 5 - May 2, 2015, John B. Aird Gallery, 900 Bay St, Toronto, ON. Jurors: Jordana Franklin, M.A Art History; George Langbroek , OSA and SCA; Lila Lewis Irving, M.F.A.
- "This Changes Everything", Headwaters Arts Juried Exhibit. April 9- May 12, 2015
- "RED" partner Juried Exhibit, Headwaters Arts Main Gallery. May 13-June 14,2015
- Cuisine-Art Event, Alton Mill Arts Centre. June 20-21,2015
- Headwaters Arts Festival Juried Show, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Sept 19-Oct 4, 2015
- RECEDE, Solo Exhibit, Falls Gallery, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Sept 16- Oct 4, 2015
- Invitational, Theatre Orangeville. Sept 4- Oct 9, 2015
- Autumn Escape, Millcroft Inn, Caledon. Oct 19-Nov23, 2015
- People's Choice Award, Headwaters Arts Juried Show, Festival
- Soar, Etobicoke Civic Centre Art Gallery, Toronto. Nov 29, 2015 to Jan 22, 2016
- Fire and Ice Event, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Jan 22-23, 2016
- Joseph D. Carrier Art Gallery, Lawrence Ave, Toronto. Juried Public Gallery. Apr 5-May 1, 2016
- Colour and Form Society Biennial Juried Exhibition, Todomorden Mills, Toronto.
- Jun 15 - Jul 10, 2016
- Headwaters Arts Festival, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Sept 17- Oct 10, 2016
- From the Dock Collection, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Sept 18 - Oct 10, 2016
- Fire and Ice Event. Alton Mill Arts Centre. Jan 21-22,2017
- White Magic, Falls Gallery. Jan 25-Feb 13, 2017
- Beau-Arts Brampton 10th Open Juried Exhibition. Mar 21-Apr 8, 2017
- Wine and Food Festival, Alton Mill Arts Centre. July 22, 2017
- Headwaters Arts Festival Juried Show, Headwaters Arts Gallery. September/October 2017
- Exposé - 2017 Collection. Alton Mill Arts Centre. Sept- Oct 2017
- Natural Talent 2017. Etobicoke Civic Centre, Toronto. Dec 4, 2017 to Jan 18, 2018
- Fire and Ice Festival, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Jan 20-21, 2018
- Fragments. Headwaters Arts Main Gallery. Feb 14 - Mar 18, 2018
- Beaux-Arts Brampton Open Fine Art Juried Exhibition. Apr 11 - May 5, 2018
- Celtic Event. Alton Mills Arts Centre. May 5-6, 2018
- Cuisine-Art, Alton Mill Arts Centre. July 2018
- 12 x 12 Show, (Juried) Headwaters Arts Gallery. August 2018
- Containing Energy, 2018 Collection debut. Falls Gallery, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Sept 2018
- Headwaters Arts Festival, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Sept - Oct 2018
- The Meaning of Light, Falls Gallery. Nov 2018
- Escape, The Pond Gallery. Dec 2018 - Jan 2019
- Fire and Ice Festival, Alton Mill Arts Centre. Jan 19, 20 2019
- Beaux-Arts Brampton, 12th Annual Juried Fine Art Show. Mar 13 - May 4, 2019
- Headwaters Arts Gallery, All Squared Up. Apr 24- May 26, 2019
- Art Square Gallery, Dundas St W, Toronto. June 3, 2019 to June 17, 2019
- Wine and Food Festival, Alton Mill Arts Centre. July 21, 2019
- Phenom. Headwaters Arts Invitational Exhibit. Sept 18- Oct 5, 2019
- Grey Matter, Solo Exhibit. Falls Gallery. October 9 to Nov 3, 2019
- Pond Gallery Group Exhibit, January 2020 to July 2020
- Headwaters Arts Festival Juried Exhibition. September- October 2020
2018: People's Choice Award, ECC Toronto
2017: Orangeville Banner - Exposé
2017: Caledon Enterprise - Exposé
2017: Elected Member Colour and Form Society Toronto
2015: People's Choice Award, Headwaters Arts Festival Juried Show
2012/13 Exhibitions, Awards and
Juried Shows Acceptance
2013 6th Open Juried Show, Beaux-Arts Brampton. Jurors Lisa Deanne Smith, MFA, AOCA; Dana Holst, BFA
2013 Carmel Fine Art and Music Festival, Juried Show, Niagara Falls, Ontario
2013 Harvest Juried Show- Headwaters Arts Gallery, Alton Mill Arts Centre
2013 Natural Talent 1- (Juried Exhibit) Assembly Hall, Toronto
2013 The Fall Road Trip- (Juried Solo Exhibit) Millcroft Inn
2012 Insights, Elora Arts Council
2012 The Carmel Fine Art Festival, Niagara, Ontario
2012 Wellington Artist Gallery, Fergus
2012 Beaux-Arts Brampton Wildlife & Nature, Brampton
Group and Solo Private Exhibits
Jan 2013- Passions, Dam Gallery Headwaters
Feb 2013- All Fired Up!, Falls Gallery, Alton Mill
Apr 2013 - Wood(lands), Dam Gallery Headwaters
May 2013 - Celebrate Spring Event, Alton Mill Arts Centre
June 2013- Beaux-Arts Brampton, Anniversary Membership Show
January 2012- Pond Gallery, Alton Mill
July 2012-Water and Oil DO Mix, Beaux-Arts Brampton
September 2012- Millcroft Inn, Headwaters Room
2012: Artist in Residence, Brampton Rose Theatre
2013: Natural Talent I, Assembly Hall, Toronto
2018: People's Choice Award, ECC Toronto
2015: People's Choice Award, Headwaters Arts Festival Juried Show
2013: Artist Choice Award- Natural Talent Assembly Hall, Toronto
2012: Juried Show Beaux-Arts Brampton, Honourable Mention
2012: Beaux-Arts Brampton Juror's Award
Headwaters Tourism Guide
Sideroads Dufferin County
Canadian Art Magazine
Previous years' accomplishments available on request